Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Let the Rain Fall Down

As was referenced yesterday, we had some water infiltration in our house. Basically, much like our children, the rains came from heaven, entered our home, and made things very wet. I entered our basement on Sunday night, and noticed there was a small puddle of water on the floor near our stuff. I recognized right away that it wasn't part of our stuff, because we usually keep our water in the fridge.

My wife and I started moving our things so we could clean up. I had my wife do most of the lifting, because she owed me from her 9 months of non-lifting during pregnancy. Anyway, I ran to my brother-in-law's to get a wet/dry vac, and by the time I got back, the puddle had grown and multiplied. I'm not a scientist, but I was pretty sure this had something to do with more water.

I started vacuuming and when I came back from emptying it, I noticed the water had gotten deeper and had pretty much spread throughout the basement. I was beginning to feel like there was something wrong here, or I had fallen victim to the Wet Bandits. My wife called a sump pump guy and I continued vacuum holding in my tears for fear of adding to the water.

It turns out the sump pump works, but we couldn't figure out where the water was coming from. As my wife was on the phone she noticed this at the base of our wall:
>

There were several of these founts coming out of the base of our wall, and they flowed steadily for at least 4 hours. We didn't have any little dutch boy's thumbs around, so all we could do is let it flow. We decided that vacuuming wasn't keeping up with the flow so we started trying to push the water into our sump pump.

I show this video to display my flawless technique and also, my beautiful rain boots. Their my wife's, and before you say anything, chew on this: Is it weirder that I'm wearing my wife's boots, or that we have the same size feet?

So all of the water has now departed from our basement. We're hoping it was just a one time visit, and are working on making that a reality. I don't really spend too much time in my basement, so it was nice to have this opportunity to loiter there a but.

Dave

1 comment: