Monday, March 14, 2011

Junior High Glock Revolution


We had a great time this weekend at the Breakout Conference for Youth For Christ in Saratoga Springs, NY. We got to meet some great junior highers and leaders, staff and volunteers for YFC (www.cdyfc.org), a speaker (Gilbert Hernandez), and Chris Ames Band (www.christopherames.com). We laughed, danced, and had a glockenspiel revolution.

I feel bad because I'm pretty sure this was the first time a lot of these kids had been exposed to a glockenspiel. It makes me wonder if all of those "Save the Music" commercials were a waste of time. The teens were blown away by this amazing German instrument and couldn't get enough of it. Don't be surprised if you start hearing about a glockenspiel boom in upstate NY. One teen told me that she and her friends went to Walmart, asking if they had any glockenspiels. Surprisingly the employee in the blue vest had no idea what she was talking about. I wish I could've been there.

Junior Highers really like autographs, and they like them on anything. If I had known that I'd be signing so many autographs, I would have worked harder on my handwriting or legally changed my name to something shorter, like the letter "I." This weekend I signed CDs, pictures, Ipods, arms, guitar pics, wristbands, shirts, and one kid's stomach. The teens who's arms we signed, were concerned about the signatures washing off. I encouraged them to go straight from our table to a Tattoo Parlor so that it wouldn't be an issue. I haven't gotten any phone calls from angry parents, so I assume none of them did it.

We really enjoyed our time at Breakout and enjoyed hanging out with everyone. Thanks so much for the opportunity!

Dave

3 comments:

  1. I've got to admit...I got home and googled "glockenspiel" and went to bed last night singing about rockin' the glock. You guys were great in Saratoga. Thanks for being there to rock our faces off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of people who can not wait to see you guys in Watertown, NY!!!!!! 5 days and counting down!!!

    ReplyDelete