Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Awesome Tour


We just got back this weekend from what we deemed "The Awesome Tour." We performed shows with Omaha Comedian Scott Muilenburg, and even had an appearance from Albany's favorite son, David Rice. We advertised it as "A tour of Awesomeness. . .and Scott Muilenburg."

Our first show was at SUNY Cortland. On the way we stopped for some caffeine, at a coffee shop that is either astronomy themed or woodland creature themed: Starbucks. Scott was going to buy one of those bottled Frappuccinos, that you can get anywhere, but Brian convinced him that most people purchase actual Frappucinos when at Starbucks. Scott stepped up to order and asked for an "Iced Frappucino." We didn't think anything of it until he clarified with the barista, "That's an iced one, right?" I don't know if they make warm Frappucinos in Omaha, but let's just say we had some fun at Scott's expense the rest of the journey. We promised we wouldn't tell anyone about this misunderstanding, so let's keep that between us.

Even though it was freezing, I'm pretty sure we warmed the hearts of students at SUNY Cortland. Great crowd, and we unveiled our new "Rockenspiel" bracelets. We are proud to have the Rockebspiel message being spread now via the wrist. It used to be the wrist was an avenue for telling time. Now it's an avenue for hearing how you can be rocked.

Friday night, we did a show at The Salvation Army in Watertown, NY. I don't want to say how the show went, but here is an actual quote from an audience member, "I'm so glad I wore my Depends tonight." We are all glad she did. After the show we played a riveting game of dodgeball and some things happened that I'm not too proud of.

We played a game where the only person left on the other team was a young, adorable, 6-year-old girl. My aunt who was officiating, said the game was over. I argued that there was one person left, the little girl, but she felt it would be unfair. I know it was a little girl, but I really hated that there was no closure on that game. In the next match I got a ball, sought out the little girl, and knocked her out of the game. Was it worth it? Was it a little excessive? Was she not even paying attention when I hit her? Let's just say there was no argument at the end of the game.

Finally, we performed at my alma mater, Syracuse University. It was in the Jabberwocky Cafe, which is a fun little room, that didn't exist when I was there. I think people got a little uncomfortable when I made some controversial comments about our beloved mascot, Otto the Orange. I was just expressing my concern that he's a mutant orange, and maybe not as intimidating as other mascots. You can fear other mascots like bears, lions, or tigers because they can maul you. What fear does an orange cause? Acid Reflux? Hey other team, I hope you didn't just brush your teeth, because the Orange is coming to leave a bad taste in your mouth! I'm just saying.

Anyway, a special thanks to Scott Muilenburg and David Rice for joining us on the tour. Also, thanks to Mike McQuitty and Omar Hopping for setting up the shows. Stay Awesome Central NY!

Dave

2 comments:

  1. see you guys on friday! I'll bring the hot-pockets, you bring the glockenspiel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is looking at colleges and she just said the other day that she didn't want to go to a college with a weird mascot. The Orangemen came up. I didn't know he had a name.

    ReplyDelete