Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Shake your Shamrock


When I was younger I remember taking a sip of my Shamrock Shake and exclaiming, "More like ShamWow Shake!" At the time it was witty wordplay, but now seems very repulsive. It's that time of year where I will be stopping in to McDonalds a little more then I should. The Shamrock Shakes are back, and upon having my first of the season last night, my taste buds rejoiced.

For those of you unaware of this frozen minty drink of goodness, it's a milkshake that comes out in late February and leaves towards the end of March. Most McDonalds carry them, but not all. I was in one in Maryland a few years ago during March and when I asked for one, the girl behind the counter had no idea what I was talking about. It's a humbling experience when the 16 year old McDonalds employee, laughs at you and sarcastically says, "We don't have any Easter Egg Burgers either!" Lisa, thinks she's so smart with her purple and black shirt and McDonalds visor.

There are a lot of theories on the recipe for the Shamrock Shake, because McDonald's isn't very forthright on the ingredients. I'm kind of surprised that we live in a world that can come up with cures for Smallpox and Polio, but can't crack the Shamrock Code. What could they use to create this mint flavored shake: bits of Thin Mints, Crest with fluoride, the flesh of Leprechauns? We may never know. I've heard the argument that it's just a vanilla milkshake with green dye, and your brain is manipulated to think it's mint. I thought this was a ridiculous theory, but then I heard it referenced on The Simpsons, so it must be legit.

No matter how it's made, I will continue to consume it. I'd like to stock up, but I never know how to store a milkshake. If I put it in the freezer, it will get all thick and weird. If I put it in the fridge it will become soup. It's probably for the best that it's out for a limited time. If I had it year round, I may not appreciate it as much, like Tax Day.

Dave



1 comment:

  1. I have to admit, I've never heard of this goodness! Now I must search around town in pursuit of one. I don't know if I should be scared or excited. :)

    ReplyDelete