Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gaga the Lady

There are a lot of things that had people buzzing after the Grammy's. Bieber lost out to Esperanza Spalding, a bassist jazz singer, and not the creator of sporting equipment as I originally thought. Cee Lo Green was dressed as a peacock and sang with Gwenyth Paltrow, one of the most accomplished actresses of our time, or as a new generation of fans know her, the lady who was on "Glee" a few times. And who can forget that poor soul who was barely intelligible and some feared was having a stroke. . .but enough about Bob Dylan (hey-yo!).

What people don't seem to be talking about is Lady GaGa's acceptance speech. At the end of her speech she thanked Whitney Houston by saying, "I wanted to thank Whitney, because when I wrote Born this Way, I imagined she was singing it- because I wasn't secure enough in myself to imagine I was a superstar. So, Whitney, I imagined you were singing Born this Way, when I wrote it."

Beside the fact that Whitney has enough problems, this was confusing to me. First off, does she confuse Whitney Houston with Madonna, because I'm pretty sure her song sounded just like Express Yourself. Maybe like so many of us do, she just imagines what life would be like if Whitney and Madonna had each other's careers. I'm pretty sure "The Bodyguard" and "A League of Their Own," would've been completely different films.

Finally, she wasn't ". . .secure enough. . ." in herself to imagine she was a superstar? She's secure enough to dress like characters from "The Neverending Story" at every event she shows up to, but she's not secure enough to write a text book pop song? Lady Gaga, you do what you have to do. I know when Brian and I are writing songs we often imagine we are a mixture of Phil Collins, Michael Bolton, and Tom Cochrane (singer of Life is a Highway).

Dave


1 comment:

  1. I think the same thing about Born this Way! I heard a clip on the radio and really thought it was Express Yourself at first.

    ReplyDelete