Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Spandex Band, Lemonjellos, and Flash Mob



I had the opportunity to hang out with CIY Staff, guests, and Bible College Students during my time in Holland, MI. I really got to know people well during the weekend when we had a bunch of free time. On the Saturday night, we had an awesome picnic involving some tasty BBQ Ribs, KanJam (www.kanjam.com), and a baseball game. In the middle of our picnic some older dudes showed up on their bikes hauling instruments. It turns out they're called The Joybox Express (www.joyboxexpress.com), and bike across Michigan to raise money and awareness of the arts for children. The juxtaposition of their beautiful music playing and their spandex fitted bodies was the true expression of art in my opinion.


There is a great coffee shop in Holland called, Lemonjello's. I got in a little bit of trouble, because the ignorant human being that I am pronouncing words as they're spelled, called it Lemon Jellos. It's pronounced "Lemawnjawlos." It's kind of like the whole "Target/Tarjay" thing, except less absurd. They have a great atmosphere, wonderful coffee drinks (I recommend the Stress Reliever), and one of the coolest soda drinks I've ever had. It's called a "Green Army Guy" and here's the ingredients: green apple soda+strawberry+an army guy. That's right! There is a little green army man floating in your drink. Phenomenal!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Mike, Chris, Annie, and Bethany from Central Christian College of the Bible (www.cccb.edu) for taking the time to hang out with me. We all learned a lot about each other. For instance, Chris and I could become professional KanJam players if there were such a thing, Mike has an inner-Martin Van Buren like no other, Annie could never be on the A-team due to a fear of vehicles with open doors, and Bethany has strong opinions about Chipotle. They actually offered me a scholarship if I were to come to their school and gave me a T-shirt. I didn't say anything, but I would've come just for the shirt.

The last week at Michigan consisted of 1300 fired up high school kids, who I once again referred to as Martha. One kid on the last day, hugged me and whispered, "Marth loves hugs." I'm not sure he understood how creepy that was. This group was especially cool, because they pulled a planking flash mob on me. It was very well planned, because none of us on leadership had any idea it was going to happen. I was doing my thing one night on stage and when I put a picture up on screen, 1300 people dropped to the floor in unison to plank. It was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen.

In closing on my CIY MOVE adventures, the fine CIY people made a great film about the persecuted church around the world that they showed at these events. It's called Love Costs Everything, and was very intense, but also very challenging and eye opening. It's not available yet, but you can check out more info here: http://2011.ciy.com/lovecostseverything.

Dave



No comments:

Post a Comment